3 Tyne Street
The Criterion Hotel was built in 1877 to a design by Oamaru architects Forrester and Lemon. It was built for its first proprietor William Gillespie and operated as a licensed hotel until prohibition came to Oamaru in 1905. Without a liquor licence it continued in use as a private hotel until 1943 when it was bought by G T Gillies Ltd. and used for storage of light engineering foundry equipment.
The Criterion was purchased by the Oamaru Whitestone Civic Trust in 1989 and underwent a full restoration of its exterior and interior in 1998/99. Today it again operates as a fully licensed hotel serving a full range of traditional ales, wines and meals and guests can once again stay in one of New Zealand's most photographed hotels.