9 Tyne Street
Smith's Grain Store was designed by architect James Johnston (the main rival to Forrester and Lemon) as a grain store for Joseph Smith in 1882. This grain store is probably the most ornamental grain store in the Country. Messrs Hamilton and Co. were contractors for the masonry work and Henry Francis Sidon for the carpentry.
Smith's Grain Store has had a variety of uses including office and printing works for the Oamaru Mail for 64 years, the newly formed south Oamaru Presbyterian congregation met there before Columba Church was built, a dance hall, skating rink, the first home of the North Otago Farmers' Co-op and lastly a joinery factory.
The Trust purchased Smith's Grain Store in 1989. Today Smith's Grain Store flies the Union flag and the large open space is used as an access way between Tyne and Harbour Street and a venue for community functions. New stairs have provided good access to the first floor which is now a gallery hosting works by local artists.